Monday, August 11, 2008

I did the fair

Just got back from an afternoon at the Iowa State Fair. Exhausting yet fun as usual. This year I discovered a few new things I never knew existed or perhaps they haven't been there before?
Also ran into 5 people that I knew. That has never happened--especially with a daily attendance of around 100,000 people.

Top 10 things I did:
1. saw the winner of the "biggest pigeon contest"
2. watched a woman make "art" from barbed wire
3. ate Indian fry bread
4. saw an old refurbished "beach" jeep that looked like a toy I used to play with as a kid
5. watched a "one-woman band" perform in Pioneer Hall
6. toured the usual animal barns
7. signed up for an estimate for getting new gutters put on my home
8. looked at the baby animals that had just been born
9. cast my vote for president at the WHO-TV booth by putting a kernel of corn into a pint jar
10. looked over the fantastic photos and artwork in the Cultural Building.

Took the bus from the State Capitol to the fairgrounds as I do most every year. The afternoon was topped off with a screaming baby on the bus. Was especially long as we had to wait for a train to pass also. Was a relief to get home!!

2 comments:

Heidi K. Rettig said...

I just love the Iowa State Fair. I love holding the baby pigs. I love the cinnamon roll baking contest. Deep fried snickers bars and machinery hill. Thanks for sharing your day, it sounds fun but exhausting. I wish I could have gone with you!!

Dreams and Designs said...

Glad you had a good time. I like to hit the fair up once a year also!